Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Seeing yourself through the unfiltered eyes of others

Seeing yourself though the eyes of others
I won't go into details as to protect those involved but recently I was confronted on a very personal level about my long hair, tattoos, my divorce, finances, and my age. "Why do I have long hair and tattoos? Am I rebellious?" Why do I like bands that play metal music? How is that compatibly with Christianity?

I didn't get to answer the questions as well as I would have liked to but for my on sanity I think I would like to try now. Cause it made me think. Why do I look the way I do? Am I rebellious? Why am I like I am?

Basically here is the answer:
Because God made me this way.. I am an individual, I have likes and dislikes like everyone else. I like long hair and tattoos. But tattoos that are tasteful nothing evil of course. I was raised by 2 Christan parents that never judged anyone by outward appearances in addition they encouraged me to be myself. Would the world accept me? Well most do once they get to know me and for those that don't it is too bad that they have to be so shallow as to miss out on being my friend just because of the way I look. I see this as a form of prejudice no different than any other form of prejudice. The bible says not to judge by the way.  But I won't judge you by quoting the bible regarding judging . lol. Oh and Jesus had long hair.

Am I rebellious? 
Yes.. If being rebellious is refusing to be something I am not just to please others. As a Christian I feel like a rebel. It says to take the narrow path that leads to salvation. I think all Christians are rebellious. We don't conform to the world but rather are transformed by the renewing of our spirit through the Holy Spirit. In Jesus we are set apart.

Am I perfect?
No. I have a long way to go. I am shedding years of ideas, and thoughts. I am working hard to be better, and  to get closer to God so he can transform me further. If you see a relic of my past laying around on Facebook etc..please let it be known I am cleaning house so don't get too offended. Heck let me know about it and I will nix it.

Summary
God is not done with me and I will be doing more in his service in the next few years and on to the end of my life. I am not perfect and I still struggle with sin like everyone else but I am trying, and with God's help the rough edges of my personality and old life will be chipped away as time persists.

And for those of you who don't accept me. I want you to know I understand.  I am patient however and will do my best to show you that I am really a decent guy who is much more conservative than you might think. I am a work in progress and I am proud of how far I have come and I am excited to see how far I will go with God's help.

So I will stay positive, keep smiling and be the best Christian, Father, Husband, Friend, Son, Brother,Worker, and Musician that I can.

With God all things are possible.
Regards
Steve

1 comment:

  1. Steve, like what you have say about judging people on the outside. It's all about the heart. I have no problems with what I see on the outside as well. Your life is transformed and that show on the outside as well. I have found that it's only through Jesus Christ that i can love other. The hardest person to love is oneself, as we see the Love that God has for us then we can love other as our self. Being selves is not love. Your friend Jim

    ReplyDelete